Wednesday, November 15, 2006

LasikMD and ME

 

The first letter is always E, that much I know. From there it gets fuzzy - literally. I'm not a major risk to brush my teeth with superglue, or walk through the 'don't walk signal' into rush hour traffic, but even a slight vision problem can be a major hassle. I have a -2.25 Left and -2.00 Right nearsighted prescription - what does that mean to normal people? - it means a few things. It means I see slightly better with my right eye than my left. But it also means I see far worse than the normal person who would be a zero prescription - the larger the negative numbers, the worse I see things from further away. Numbers in the 2's are not so bad, but I've had enough.

A Brief History:

My last set of contact lenses (Acuvue Advance w/ Hydraclear) were supposed to be created by God himself, but that I found out was false advertising. They were less than user friendly, and needed to be replaced far too often - and to top it off, were responsible for a pretty serious and disgusting eye infection - mmm puss. I was not the only person I know to develop said puss due to these contacts - the worst part - 6 Months cost a couple hundred dollars.

Due to my puss, and the $$$, I've put off buying another 6 months of contact lenses. I've resorted to my eye glasses that are now 8 years old, and contain a prescription far from that of my own in 2006 - but they do slightly make things better. It was time however to get back to my routine, meaning re-buy contacts, my old brand, and updating my spectacles to properly reflect my worsening disability. And unless things have changed the past 8 years regarding eye glasses, there is another few hundred dollars that I would need to spend, just to continue living with my crappy vision. So lets parlay that money not spent on work arounds and find a better permanent solution...

The Solution:

On Wednesday, one week from today, I will opt for elective eye surgery at LasikMD in Scarborough. My consultation was Monday - a couple hours of tests, pupil measurements, cornea thickness evaluations and me generally guessing R's that were actually P's and C's, that to most, were obviously O's - and one that I don't care how good your vision is you still fuck up V's instead of Y's &  visa-versa. Anyway, it turns out I'm eligible for the surgery, and want it done sooner than later - hence me going under the knif...the laser!, on Wednesday.

Aftermath:

As of next Wednesday afternoon, I should naturally see better than I currently do with my glasses on - although that's not saying much. A few eye drops here and there over the course of the week and I should acquire superhuman eye sight - or at least normal human eyesight. I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Worries:

I'm actually looking forward to the procedure, or at least the first few minutes when the surgery is finished. I have the most decorated surgeon in Canada performing my operation, so that's a tick in the plus column. I only imagine his joke at this point is that he can do this operation with his eye's shut. I'll take his word for it and dare him to do it on the next guy.

 

See you soon.

7 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m., Blogger Harris said...

Wicked! Good news duder! Do you get x-ray vision too? so you can see through my Bruins jersey?

 
At 1:29 p.m., Blogger Rob said...

Dude, finally you'll get to see what we're all seeing. And lemme tell ya, your wife-to-be is soooo hot!

;-)

 
At 6:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool news Greggy - I know a couple of people who did laser eye surgery and they 'haven't looked back'... haha

 
At 3:39 p.m., Blogger Kate From England said...

I am so jealous! Every time I speak to you about this, I get closer to booking my own appointment (although I'm still debating whether they can help the -4.5/-5 blind people...)

Best of luck with your 'flaps'!

:)

 
At 4:52 p.m., Blogger Greg said...

Only one way to find out Ms. England.

The consultation is free, then they give you 6 months to seek out better pricing.

It would appear as though I'm the guinea pig for a few people, so if I start brushing my teeth with super glue, then perhaps you should post-pone. I'll let you know Thursday.

And thanks, I hope my "flaps" respond accordingly.

 
At 10:51 p.m., Blogger Deb said...

Great news! But are you REALLY sure you want to see what the rest of us see?! :)

 
At 12:55 p.m., Blogger Greg said...

Funny the responses thus far have been "Good For You", or "Great News" - it appears that this surgery comes with very little risk nowadays, or at least implied risk, and everyone seems to know at least one person who has come out with rave reviews.

24 Hours until I can see. I'll let you know how it goes, and what I see differently shortly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home