Thursday, December 14, 2006



Sane, or Insane?

I have recently been hearing radio advertisements for a organization called My Choice, which I'm pretty certain is a complete waste of somebody's time & money. This post will focus only on them as an organization, and will have nothing (very little) to do with my opinions about smoking.

"My Choice" is an organization that is attempting to fight government restrictions on the hefty anti-smoking policies and legislation passed the over the last several years. My Choice's mission statement is this:

mychoice.ca is a web site committed to restoring common sense, balance and civility to the way Canada's adult smokers are treated by their federal, provincial and municipal politcians. <--- And yes, the mis-spelling of the word "politIcians is their fault.

I suggest you take a look around their website, sign-up if the free tour isn't enough. And read what they have to say. I also implore you to listen to their radio ads, the reason for this post after all. One of them is even trying to get me to feel bad that a bed stricken elderly person, who has smoked their entire life should not have to go outside to smoke, after all it is their "sunset" years, let them enjoy what makes them happy. But the thought of a lady dying of lung cancer with the trachea hole, wheeling an oxygen tank, smoking her Virginia Slims via her neck cavity does not not exactly tug at my heart strings.

Anyway, make your own judgment. Check out what this organization is up too, there are some decent arguments (well, 1), but little focus as a whole. One of the points is demanding the Government help pay for quit-smoking aides, Nicorette, Gum, the patch, which I completely agree with. If the government is telling you to quit smoking, yet making billions from you smoking, then they SHOULD help. The others though are out of frustration, taxes are too high on smokes, my smoke breaks are limited (Non-Smokers should KILL you for saying you're 15 minutes to walk away from the job, on top of designated break times are being removed), and several others. You are going to hear these ads, and hear from this organization if you haven't already, you may as well know what they're up too.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home