Monday, March 12, 2007

Hot Chicks Draft 2007

Around this time last year, with poggie keeping me afloat, I was spending several hours a day looking for a full time job. Not a fun task. March - April were slow months for me for sure. Football season had ended, baseball was still a month away, and the predictable leafs were doing exactly what they're doing this year. I needed something to do other than the depressing task of looking for work, a hobby, a sport...a competition! And I needed people as sick and twisted as me to spend hours a day to do it. I turned to my friends at PigSkinAddiction

Pigskinaddiction is an online football community where of all the message boards, football is only a few. A community made up of 98% Americans, from all over the states and the world. Started by a few Army brats, this website has grown to over 4,000 "trough" members, and weekly, during the season, this site puts out fantastic free football insights filled with hilarious comments, weekly projections and of course their annual draft guide - a must own for the football lover. But deep within this site, in the forums people rarely visit, especially during the off season, resides the truly addicted. Football talk 24/7, political views (fun for a Canadian), Funny Videos / Pictures, excellent and not so excellent local articles, it is here I found what I was looking for: The 2006 Hot Chicks Draft.

An annual event at Pigskin, the Hot Chicks Draft was just what I needed. A competition between 12 degenerates with some extra time on their hands. A competition that worked the same as any other Sports Draft I've been a part of, except the players in this case, were you guessed it - Women. And lets be honest, this is just an organized, more adult (I said more adult, not more mature) way or ripping the pages out of Teen Beat as a kid and pasting them to your wall. But the timing could not have been better. I signed up immediately.

12 Teams. 6 rounds. Roughly a month to draft. Hottest combined team (as determined by an online poll) crowned the winner. The stakes? Along with the bragging rights the 11 losers had to change their online avatar (display picture) to anything the winner decided - for 2 weeks. The winner would also get a customized signature made up of his winning ladies to help tell the trough just who has the best taste in women and was crowned 2006 Hot Chicks Champion.

The draft began with me sitting near the bottom of the order - first off the board: Shakira, one or two people thought a little early for the hip shaking Latina to be off the board, but nobody was about to actually say otherwise. Second went Ms. Jolie a crowd favourite. The third pick, and early candidate for steal of the draft with what was thought to be consensus number one Jessica Alba... The pictures used to represent your selection had to sell your lady. There were pictures that either made or broke peoples teams. A bad picture, or one that does the girl no justice and you could be sunk. One of the rules was you were allowed ONE picture change for your entire team, so in other words get it right the first time. In my opinion the picture of Jolie @ 2 could have cost that team the title. After a few more top notch ladies and a few surprises it was time for the Canadian to draft - and lets be honest I had to represent, so with the 8th overall selection, I chose Calgary's own, Elisha Cuthbert. And the picture I chose, could have been the best of the entire 72. I've had people who don't care much for my selection say just how great that picture was... believe me it was nice. I rounded out my team with 2.5 - Petra Nemcova 3.8 - Keria Knightly 4.5 - Alessandra Ambrosio 5.8 - Natalie Portman & 6.5 Rachel Bilson. A good combination of Star Power, super models, up and comers and overall I'd say I had the best picture selection (googling hot women all day was tough work, but someones got to do it). By an overwhelming number in the end I was crowned 2006 Hot Chicks Draft Champion. Something I must say I'm very proud of - I obviously have a very good taste in women - right Liz?



It wasn't long after this title was bestowed upon me that I found a job, and all things for the year really started to shape up. Coincidence? I think not. The reason for this post however, other than to waste away a good portion of my first slow morning in over a month, (trust me it's well deserved) is to declare my intention to repeat as 2007 Hot Chicks Draft champion, starting in a week. I ask all readers to give me their favorites - players they would like to see on my team, including those late round sleepers. I'll keep you up to date on my team as we go along, and of course the results once finished. This year we're doing a Final 4 Bracket System starting at the sweet 16, playing down to the final 4 and of course the eventual champion, and yes that was my idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home