Thursday, June 21, 2007

Discuss:

Would you live within a 5 mile radius (8.05KM) for One Hundred Million Dollars? That's 8 Zero's!

Notes:
5 Mile Radius equals 78 square miles of area.
10 Mile Diameter or an entirety of 31.4 circumference.

You can choose your 78 square miles anywhere in the world.

I think the first reaction is "where do I sign", but contemplating just how small of a "cell" that would be beings to alter peoples decisions. A lot of people would like to travel, or even if they could never afford it in life, like to dream of perhaps traveling. If that's the one thing you dream of, then perhaps you don't do it. What good is a fast car if you can only go so far in one direction? Of course you can bring your family and friends down for visits, but then they're revolving around you and your restricted area. Think of the other pro's and con's and let me know.

Personally, I do it in a heartbeat. I'm undecided of my exact 'cell' location, but am thinking somewhere beachy. The first couple years would be spent altering my cell with various needs / entertainment locations & items, but I think eventually it would be perfect. My rationale is I probably will never be able to afford to travel the world anyway, so why not go ahead and cross the other 50 things on my "I Wish" list.

PS - Liz isn't coming with... she says no.

4 Comments:

At 10:12 a.m., Blogger Rob said...

Is the deal for 78 square miles of vacant, uninhabited space - or such a plot of land anywhere? If the latter is the case, I'd easily take the deal right smack in the middle of Manhatten, where the radius would cover almost the entire island and you'd have every service you'd ever need. Heck, there are likely 100o's of New Yorkers who spend all of their lives in such a confiend space, without the offer of millions of dollars!!

 
At 11:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get 5 miles in one direction, or 2.5 miles in one direction and 2.5 miles the other depending on your "home base" location. If you bought a condo near Central Park, it's 7.1 miles to get to just a little way to the World Trade Center location, i.e too far.

Greg

 
At 11:10 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops that would be 5 mile Diameter, thus if you situated yourself a little closer you could still make central park, and WTC location. I.e. 10 miles from tip - to - tip.

Not bad considering all the immensities so close. Pretty good location if you ask me.

Greg

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger Sara said...

At first I read one million $ (not the hundred) - and was like, suckaaas - living in NYC w/ only a mill wouldn't be that great ... but yeah, a hundred million would work.

Although I think regardless of where you chose, it would be very cabin-feverish to live in one spot for the rest of your life. Think about it - lots of people do it, yes - but they still have the CHOICE to travel if they wanted to. Taking away that choice - that's the key element. I think that's the main bit of what would drive you batty - not that you didn't like where you were, but that you didn't have a choice to be anywhere but that self-imposed prison.

So yeah, I guess Greg, I'd be w/ Liz on this one - much more poor, but at least on my own terms...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home