Monday, June 11, 2007

Hard Ball

As most of you could probably guess, I actually like stepping to the plate and playing hardball with some people, some of the time - okay most of the time. I'm quite confident I "negotiated" the best deals with the Professional Barter's in the DR, but haven't had much chance to play since. Here's the situation. I have been a Telus customer for about 5 years, if not longer, and over the course of that time have long fulfilled my contract, paid my bill via pre-paid billing each month, and as a thank you I received a $25 3 year anniversary "thanks for being a consumer" credit a ways back, which was a nice touch - but I needed to call in a favour, and it was something initially they did now want to do.

Liz and I are down to cell phones - both of which are mine, one of which work pays for. So when Liz lost my personal cell phone, aka her cellphone, it's been a nightmare getting a hold of Her/us. She's tried calling Telus, but they would only offer her a $200 credit towards a phone, but she would have to sign a 2 year contract. So I went with Option B; Fuck that. Rogers / Bell home phones are still quite expensive for the call me on my cell phone crowd, so I also went with option B. A new cell phone company would DEMAND a contract, so once again, I'm left with Option B. Now what?

This afternoon I called Telus with an offer. Give me a phone or cut off my service. "Sir, we can offer you this excellent deal of a $200 credit towards a new cell phone for only a 2 year contract extension", to which I responded with "No Phone - No Contract - No Deal!". I was transferred... an excellent thing getting passed the initial front gate guards that are Customer Service Representatives. The new guy gave me the same pitch, but added "It's by far our best offer to date for a new cell phone". I responded with, "I can pretty much guarantee I get a similar offer from Rogers or Bell to switch to them if I accept a 2 year contract, or you can hope I don't try and screw you over, steal your phone, then cancel all in an effort to attempt to keep me".

My nice new free no contract phone is arriving in 3-5 Business Days.

2 Comments:

At 7:14 p.m., Blogger Sara said...

Well-played G... well-played...

 
At 11:29 p.m., Blogger Harris said...

Funny you mention cell phones...may need a pinch hitter...I'll bore you will the details on IM next time I see you. Fucking Bell Mobility...oh what is that you say??? I have been on FIDO since 1997...never had a Bell Mobility plan...funny thing is I owe them $716 from 5 years ago!!! WTF...this war has just started.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home