Sunday, July 08, 2007

Cleaning House is Garbage

It's really something actually looking back at our very productive house cleaning weekend; we have a lot of crap.

Friday night was the Garage. Everything out of the garage into the driveway, 90% of things into trash bags, and 10% back into the garage, in a much more organized fashion. The garage was also where the majority of my uninteresting "beer bottle collection" was stored - translation: lots of empties. Being a beer rep had it's perks, this wasn't one of them! I actually ended up popping the tops off of about 3 cases of beer and began pouring them onto the lawn just to collect the empties. Before you go thinking I'm completely insane, they were far, FAR, beyond skunky. Although from an outsider you'd have to assume I was a cop busting a bunch of 14 year olds for underage drinking and as punishment made them watch as I ruined their evening.

Did you do the math by the way? My over / under for returns was set at $35, aka 350 individual bottles of beer, or more than 14! cases of beer. It took two trips, and a lot of bottles were actually simply thrown into the garbage bags, and I technically still have 1 case to bring back to the beer store, but all told the answer was an astounding over: just over $44.00.

Saturday was more of the same. Kitchen, bedroom, basement, living room - if it hasn't been used, touched, looked at, or considered in a month, it's on it's way to the dump. All told I think we had 20-25ish "giant" and "contractor" sized garbage bags in our newly cleaned garage. I hired some dude off craigslist to come pick everything up on Sunday and haul it all away for us. Actually, I was more than pleased with the price I paid for such a service. I had heard some of the big junk guys can be $300-$400 for the amount of garbage we had we paid far less than half of that!

Liz and I are far from pack rats. I'm not certain where that amount of trash actually came from? Just goes to show you what can collect over a year or so if you're not extra careful. I'm guessing we'll be more careful once we actually own the space we're stashing stuff - this will act as a nice lesson moving forward, I hope. Still plenty to dispose of before we move, but this weekend was a nice start.

Still managed to squeeze in a night at our fav Sushi restaurant, a drive-in Saturday night (Knocked-Up & Die Hard), and a baseball game on Sunday! So although it was a work filled weekend, we managed to still have some fun - although I'd be lying if I wasn't looking forward to the next several weekends compared to this one!

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home