Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Art Vandelay

What do you call a no armed, no legged man hanging on my wall?

ART!

While I would like to recap the rest of those school yard jokes including: Phil, Russell, Bill, Bob & Matt, it's simply an intro to my main point, not the actual steak and potatoes of this blog dinner. You see in my new house, while I love every inch, I currently have many a barren wall and I need to do something about it. The closest I've come to owning actual art in my past would involve sports stars or empty beer bottles in one fashion or another. And although my empty beer bottle wall did accrue to an impressive $50, I don't think that's what Monet or,... or... or those other guys had in mind when they created their version of "Art".

But aside from a punchline, Art is funny in another way. Most people can look at 2 similar pieces, one created by a 3rd Grader with finger paint, and another created by Jackson Pollock with well... finger paint, and not tell the difference. Now although that may be an extreme example, the point is, people know what they like, beyond that knowledge is pretty limited. Makes sense to me: I need to find something I(in the we sense) like.

Something I've always really enjoyed is advertising pieces, specifically vintage advertisements. A family friend of mine, with a long LONG history of family vendors / retailers had numerous examples of vintage advertisements in their home that they collected over the years, and I always found it very appealing - partially the reason why I began in advertising to begin with. After looking through various themed vintage pieces, the alcohol themed ads emerged as my favourites. Advertising & Alcohol... hmm, obviously not a new concept. There is a LOT of it.

2 stuck out as winners, and although there are 15-20 more that would also look nice, like most Art, 'she ain't cheap'. So two will have to do for now. And I don't really have that much room anyway since the two I bought are very large, replica prints, nearly 3' x 5', framed, mounted, matted and put behind glass forever! I decided on the 'Drunk Monkey' and 'Sandman', or that's what I'll call them from now on. After all, the point is: I (we) really like them. You've probably even seen them once or twice before.

Here they are:



Porto & Sherry Sandeman, 1931

"The Sandman"





Anisetta Evangelisti, Liquore Da Dessert

"The Drunk Monkey"

1 Comments:

At 6:34 p.m., Blogger Sara said...

Nice pieces - and will go well w/ the decor. I'm sure you (both) are very happy with your choices.

PS - I'm not sure Jackson Pollock would enjoy being called a Polack - or referenced in the same line as 'finger painting' ... but hey, like you said (or I think were trying to say), art is subjective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home